Dr. Zakir Husain, the former president of the republic of India was closely associated throughout his life with two institutions-AMU and JMI. He was a distinguish scholar holding a doctorate degree in Agro-Economics from Humboldt University, Berlin, which is one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Dr. Husain was a true disciple of Mahatma Gandhi, Father of the Nation. He was a sincere friend of India’s first Prime Minister Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the “Architect of Modern India”. Dr.Husain was elected the third president of India under the dynamic leadership of Mrs.Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India.
The Duty Society, AMU is a voluntary organization that was established in 1889. It is now more than a century old and continues to play a very important and pioneering role in the establishment and expansion of AMU. Dr.Husain always had a special relationship with this organization. To pay its humble tribute to his valuable services to the society, the functionaries and life-members of the Duty Society instituted an award in the memory of Zakir Sahib to be given to a scientist of international repute and standing for his valuable contributions in promoting the teaching of and research in applications of mathematics to solve outstanding real world problems.
The first Dr.Zakir Husain Award was given in January 2001 to Late Professor J.N.Kapur, a distinguished industrial and applied mathematician who played a vital role in promoting teaching of and research in applied mathematics in India. The second Dr.Zakir Husain Award was given to Professor Helmut Neunzert of Germany on 4 December 2004 by Mr.Arjun Singh, Hon’ble Minister of Human Resource Development, Government of India at a function at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi. Professor Neunzert is well known throughout the world for his valuable work in the field of industrial mathematics and he has also trained a fairly large number of Indians in this field. The Third Dr.Zakir Husain Award was presented on 31 March 2007 to Professor K.R.Sreenivasan, Director, Abdus Salam International Centre of Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy by Lt.General(Retd.) S.K.Sinha, Hon’ble Governor, Jammu and Kashmir. Prof.Sreenivasan is a Patron of ISIAM.
Professor Roddam Narsimha, FRS has been presented the Dr.Zakir Husain Award for the year 2007 at the Inaugural Function of ICMETP on 14 January 2009. Professor H.P.Dikshit, Director, Good Governance and planning, Government of Madhya Pradesh will also be presented the Dr.Zakir Husain Award for the year 2008 at this function. The Awards were presented by Honorable Dr.A.R.Kidwai, the then Governor of Haryana.
Dr.Zakir Husain Award of 2010 has been given to Prof.M.Zuhair Nashed of University of Central Florida, Orlando at the inaugural function of the Satellite conference(ICM 2010) on Mathematics in Science and Technology. The Award was handed over by Hon’ble Mr.Salman Khursheed, Minister of Law and Minority Affairs, Government of India on 15th August 2010 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
Dr. Zakir Husain Award 2011 was given to Prof. U B Desai (Director, IIT Hyderabad). The award was handed over by Prof. Krishan Lal (President, Indian National Academy of Sciences).
Recipients of Dr. Zakir Husain Awards:
- Professor Jagat Narain Kapur, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India, 2001 (Click Here for a Brief Profile)
- Professor Helmut Neunzert, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2004 (Click Here for His Profile)
- Professor Katepalli R. Sreenivasan, Director of Abdus Salam International Centre of Theoretical Physics, Italy, 2007 (Click here to see his Profile)
- Professor Roddam Narsimha, FRS, Indian Institute of Sciences Bangalore, India, 2008 (Click Here for His Brief Profile)
- Professor Hanuman Prasad Dikshit, Director General, School of Good Governance & Planning, Government of MP, India, 2009 (Click Here for His Profile)
- Professor M. Zuhair Nashed, University of Central Florida, USA, 2010 (Click Here to Visit His Profile Page)
- Professor U. B. Desai, Director IIT Hyderabad 2011 (Click Here for Brief Profile)